Something weird happened to my custom theme (yes, the one I worked so hard to design and publish) so I’ll use this one until I find something better. It’s not perfect, but it supports custom post formats – we’ll see if the ability to post short tidbits and microblogging-style things will make me update more often. In other news: It was Jefflion’s birthday on September 12th! My site is six years old! Let’s drink to that.
Finally, the moment you’ve been all waiting for (or not): Jefflion has a new layout and a new WordPress theme! It took me a while, but I’m finally here. Hope you like the new design and it will hopefully make me blog more.
It’s interesting to note that this is only the second layout in the website’s 5+ years history. It’s obvious I don’t really like to change layouts/designs often, but the old one was outdated and with deprecated code, AND the WordPress theme didn’t have widgets and other fine stuff. So I figured it was a perfect time for change.
This is a work in progress. I still have some work to do, so please be patient. It’s possible to encounter errors, design elements overlapping, missing files, 404 pages and other problems. I’m working on it.
Also, there is still some serious work to do, namely:
– Updating the pages (personal, goodies, domain, etc.) Most of them are horribly outdated and last touched years ago. I need to sort this out and make additional content.
– Add credits (for icons, vectors, base code, etc.)
– Responsive theme. At the moment, this WP theme is not responsive (meaning: it looks crap on tablets and mobile devices). I should work on it.
– Fixing layout problems. I tested the theme in major browsers and it looks presentable (or semi-presentable) in most, but there are sure some issues I need to deal with.
– Other stuff: fixing other minor problems.
But all in all, this is it and I am happy to present the new layout & WP theme. I do hope it will make me blog more often; the lack of updates are inexcusable!
Hope you like the new theme (and that it works for you. If not – drop me a line).
… was yesterday
Despite the evident lack of updates, I love my domain, website and blog and I’m so happy it’s still around. I can’t believe it’s been 5 years! (Now I feel slightly old and nostalgic. Or perhaps it’s just the weather. I don’t like autumn rains, ugh.)
Anyway, this is my half a decade of Jefflion.net appreciation post!
Five years ago, I knew next to nothing about blogging. I used to think blogging was about keeping an online diary, and since I don’t like to share my personal thoughts & stuff online, the idea wasn’t appealing to me. But that was before. I understand blogging much better now, which sadly doesn’t mean I always practice what I preach.
At the same time, I’m not the same person I was 5 years ago, and it kind of sucks. I’m disillusioned, bitter and anxious. I feel like a complete – well, not a complete but a big – failure in certain areas of my life (career). I can’t find a job and I feel like I never will (this is not an exaggeration but a reality of where I live), and there’s so much I want to do and research and contribute. There’s more about my anxiety and bitterness, but ugh, this is supposed to be a happy post, right?
Anyway, thank you – if there’s any of you left here – for being here for all 5 years or just months, or even on one-time visit. I appreciate all of the comments and messages and hits I’ve received. I’ll do my best to make Jefflion.net even better in the future (and yes, the first step is, as usual, updating more often!)
By a popular* request, I added a Subscribe/Follow page.
* – I use the term loosely
The button can be found in my sidebar, right below the “Sidebar (duh!)” text.
This way, yo can get a notification about new posts and other updates to this site. It’s a quick and easy way to follow this blog. I don’t post that often so you won’t have to check the site all the time and then give up in case I don’t post for ages.
Hopefully, this will prevent you from abandoning this site and forgetting about it altogether (I can only hope!)
Alternatively, you may subscribe below:
I wanted to write a clever post on why I don’t update so often. It’s not like I don’t have time for my site, and it’s not like I’m not interested in jefflion.net anymore. And it’s not like I don’t have ideas: I have tons of ideas.
I just… Can’t. It happens to me when I’m depressed, or anxious, or when I worry. I become so fucking unproductive in those situations. I also suffer from insomnia. I can’t sleep at night. I just can’t.
But to make this post somewhat positive, here are some post ideas:
– Race & yours truly (race blogs, racism, and what’s in it for me, because I’m white and I’m non-Westerner, so it’s not an issue that usually affects people in my part of the world. Unlike, you know, almost all the other issues you can think of).
– Movie reviews (I love doing movie reviews, and I don’t even care if a movie is new or not. I’ve been planning on doing a review for In Bruges for so long, and there are also some new films I’m interested in: new Sherlock Holmes or Tin Tin, or just some little independent movie I watched and loved).
– Stereotypes about Eastern Europeans (that are actually true).
– Novel writing (How to and How Not To)
– Vampires and the Balkans (and the way popular representations of vampires, based on stories about Dracula, were actually formed as cautionary tales about the wild Balkans, a dangerous region that can corrupt the West – yes, that’s right kids, there’s an ugly story behind this).
Anyway, this song always makes me feel better for some reason: